PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you teach the use of checklist?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2009, 02:17
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Guys I think it is time to go back and re read post No 1. The tread initiator is asking about checklist with respect to PPL training. So frankly I think the correct way to handle large radial engines (of which I have a lot of personal experience, hence my posting handle) is IMO not very germain. The issue of advancing the props for small aircraft with controllable pitch props used in a flight training environment is however an area that is IMO worth some discussion. When I am flying any aircraft with a constant speed prop I leave the prop lever in the cruise RPM position untill very short final and then bring the prop lever up to full forward when the airspeed is reduced to a low enough value that the prop is allready on the fine pitch stops. I used to teach that method from the beginning but found if given an unexpected go around low time pilots were reverting to the Cessna 172 or Piper PA 28 habits and instinctively firewalling the throttle and forgetting to bring the prop up first. So now I get them to set the POH derived minimum RPM setting which will still allow full MAP to be applied (It seems to be 2400 RPM for most 4 and 6 cylinder GA engines) as part of the prelanding checklist items. I then get them to do the full fine on very short final method. As they gain experince and confidence I would see them moving away from the intermediate higher RPM setting and just go from cruise to full fine on short final. However going to a higher setting earlier will have no effect on the working life of any of the common direct drive GA engines although it does increase the noise level a little