PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance Question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 18:00
hoggsnortrupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just say it as it is!

QUOTE: Since I have this screening coming up I do not want to make an emergency brief which is inappropriate, or even worse, false, as this would not be a good start, would it?

Okay Mate:
I suggest in creating a good impression would be to point out to the screening examiner, the fact that you are flying a machine outside of any recognized/legal/single engine performance, and I will not compromise with any other briefing other than one suitable for the type of aircraft I am flying.

Hence my (your) actions on take off, I will commence take off from the Threshold, and will be using full length on any available runway ATC issues! Any engine failure, or critical to flt safety event occurring before rotation, we chop the power and keep it straight, using max braking, after rotation it will be my judgment as to landing on any remaining runway, even if we have gear selected up, once at a relatively safe height, or no remaining runway to re-land upon, (my example anything from 150ft to 600ft depending on surrounding obstacles) we will carry out a mayday call, get priority to return to land, if we are visual we stay visual, if we have low cloud and suffer an engine failure IMC at sub 200 ft we make the best of a bad situation asking for radar vectors over the lowest escape route, on the ground the lowest escape route from here looks to be in that direction(point it out), if we are departing a runway with a LLZ, I will use the BC, on the HSI, and have the appropriate Freq dialed up, and on the other nav aids I have the ILS /LLZ dialed up, and if there's a NDB/DME I will use it they are a bloody good thing to familiarize the location of from the threshold, and provide instant situational awareness, if IMC at below 200ft, with all this runway in front, I will close both power levers,lower full flap,drop the gear,(it should still be down) aim for 500ft a min ROD and trim for it,keep the LLZ centered and drift down to our visual/IMC alt and plant it on the runway or in the runway vicinity.

My immediate actions will be!( Check fuel) Mixture, Pitch ,Power levers max forward, Identify the failed engine by DEAD FOOT DEAD ENGINE (in a TWIN) I will call dead foot on the floor, and close the power lever/move the prop lever to feather, confirm prop has feathered, move mixture to cut off, and fuel boost pump off, I will use all or maintain what ever airspeed I have between red line and blue line, and accept any climb or descent we get,

Now this, or the salient points, or other stuff that others may offer that is better than what I have offered, with experience you will get good at it, and I suggest you go through this or whatever brief you use in the briefing room before you get in the machine.

With experience you will learn to use all you have, and the airport has to offer.

Others will no doubt disagree, but its what I use, and unashamedly so.

When on other stuff, turbine with A/Ffr, I brief somewhat different.

When operating out of certain departure airports with unique topographical features, I brief different again.

I dont know it all matey, I still get humbled on occasion.

Chr's
H/Snort
PS: Why not just say whats a good brief for a light twin, I have a screening, and I dont know enough, and want some pointers?