PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 12:43
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I think is fair to say that everyone who funds there own training will ask this question, I know I did. And it is a difficult decision to make due to the fact there are so many conflicting opinions, and you have no experience yourself.

The bottom line is, and I now know this as I am working for an airline, as long as you have the ticks in the right boxes, and you have that little blue book with the correct ratings in it, that is all that is required as a starting block. All this about, where you went, how well you did in your ATPL's, did you pass your IR first time, hindering you chance of getting a job is nonsense.

The magic of getting that first job is down to your approach. Of course some people do slide straight into the right hand seat of an airliner, but you will find most pilots who are now working for a living have a story to tell about how they got where they are. In terms of integrated versus modular, from my own view point, and some people may disagree with me, I dont think an integrated will pop out a better pilot than an modular guy. The reason I say that, is I have flown with both whilst teaching on light aircraft, and it is always down to the individuals natural ability and attitude.

In terms of the airlines, yes you will find a number of guys who joined as integrated students. One of the reasons for this is the way the airlines used to recruit people. The sponsorship schemes airlines would run, would involve taking someone from school/college and sending them to Oxford or Cabair to do a fully integrated course to pop out the other end an airline pilot. Obviously these schemes no longer run, however the schools still have links with airlines. So, odds are if you shine as a student when you are at Oxford, and Mr BA rings up wanting some cadets who were self sponsored, you find yourself down at British Airways for your first airline interview, wondering bloody hell this was a piece of cake . On the flip side, if you take a modular student who learnt to fly at Joe Bloggs high and fast school of flying over a number years, they obviously dont have those links, and this budding pilot has to find other ways to land that first job. I guess you could ask the question, is it worth the extra dosh to put yourself in a better position, employment wise, and go for integrated? I dont think it is worth £30K.

I was a modular student, and it took me 12 years to get my first job. I remember being in the crew room one day, and started talking to a young gentleman who didnt look a day over 19. As we engaged in conversation, and I asked him about how he got the job, he went onto tell me that he had just finished his IR at OAT and in the administration office doing the paper work, and the resource manager for BMI happended to be on the phone looking for new pilots. The admin clerk asked this guy whether he would like to go down for an interview. So right place right time. Anyway I digress .

You have to remember you are in fierce competition with alot of people when you graduate, modular or integrated, and you must have some sort of plan in place. Sadly so many people do not have any plan, their ratings lapse, they are out of currency and give up after a couple of years. If you dont fall into the 'in the right place at the right time' type of guy bracket you need alot of determination and be extremely focused to succeed.

I dont mean to be mean when I say this, but so many people who qualify, think the industry owes them a living. The fact of the matter is, for most people, you have to earn that place in the industry, it wont just be given to you.

The whole thing is a learning process, not just about flying, but making sensible mature decisions along the way will work wonders for you. I really enjoy the job, and the whole experience was worth every minute of blood, sweat and tears.

All the best .