PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 11:41
IT2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd agree. Only people like BA seem to want integrated students, and the likelyhood of getting straight into one of those operators has vanished for the time being.

You could do a full time modular course i.e. Do not work during your flight training and do it all at once. I did that and finished in the same time as an Integrated student. I couldn't justify paying an additional £20k for the priviledge of saying I was integrated. This £20k could then be useful for remaining current if you fail to get a job straight away, or towards a type rating.

Once you have had your first job, no one asks about it anyway. You may be asked about your training, but the fact it was integrated/modular doesn't really mean a lot when you do get some experience.

The main problem you will find is getting that first job. There are so many people on here that are in that situation, so if you are about to start out on your training, think hard that it is what you want to do because you could find yourself having to walk away with a CPL/IR and no flying job.

Ts and Cs in contracts are being whittled away by the likes of Ryanair contracts who take full advantage of the fact there is a huge source of low houred pilots out there who are willing to pay for training, take a small salary and work to 900 hours per year. This leads to other operators having to lower their Ts&Cs in contracts to compete because the competitions costs are that much lower...and things will only get worse as time goes by, so think long and hard about your career choice.