PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 20:59
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What that poster is basically saying is that those who have voted No should (in BASSA's view) still strike if the overall vote is Yes.
Entirely agree, hence the term "Union" - meaning "as one". IMHO, there are three correct courses of action:

Vote "Yes" - strike if there is a "Yes" vote, as you acknowledge you will by your vote.

Vote "No" - strike if there is a "Yes" vote, as you acknowledge that you are a member of a "Union" (remember) and democracy rules.

Vote "No" - don't strike and resign from the union if there is a majority "Yes" vote. If you remain a member, by defying the democratic majority, you are undermining the point of the "Union" (there's that word again).

... and the secret fourth option. Don't vote at all and go with the majority. If you don't vote, you cannot morally do anything else.

Not often I agree with BASSA (and controversial, I know) but this post describes the moral thing to do. Ah, now I see the problem....

Last edited by Human Factor; 2nd Dec 2009 at 22:17.