PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 19:28
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, the sentences I quoted are not from Bassa. They're from a crew member.

My issue isn't with democracy. My issue is with the way it's written. It makes it sound like that if you're in the minority you have no options.

I know "Wixspedia" isn't always the most reliable source of information, but here goes anyway:

Even though there is no specific, universally accepted definition of 'democracy', there are two principles that any definition of democracy includes, equality and freedom.These principles are reflected by all citizens being equal before the law, and having equal access to power. A third common principle, though less measurable, is that all citizens are promised certain legitimized freedoms and liberties, which are generally protected by a constitution.
There are several varieties of democracy, some of which provide better representation and more freedoms for their citizens than others. However, if any democracy is not carefully legislated to avoid an uneven distribution of political power with balances, such as the separation of powers, then a branch of the system of rule could accumulate power and become harmful to the democracy itself.
The "majority rule" is often described as a characteristic feature of democracy, but without responsible government or constitutional protections of individual liberties from democratic power it is possible for dissenting individuals to be oppressed by the "tyranny of the majority". An essential process in representative democracies is competitive elections, that are fair both substantively and procedurally. Furthermore, freedom of political expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are essential so that citizens are informed and able to vote in their personal interests.

Make of it what you like.

Gg