PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 18:54
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52049er,

I'm not sure I disagree with BASSA's (rather badly expressed) message on this one. If my Union called a strike, gained a majority to do it, and I had voted no, I would accept the collective position and withdraw my labour. No point in being in a 'union' otherwise.

Likewise, in a democracy the minorities have to accept the rule of the majority. The idea is that you win the argument so your rules become the accepted ones. You can't just ignore certain laws/decisions because you don't agree with them, otherwise who would pay tax?
Fundamentally I agree with you.

The difficulties come with both those who are not in the Union and also on the demographics of the Union Vote.

Both of your, quite correct, views could be destroyed if a low vote percentile were returned with a high 'Yes' volume. Would you then be advocating that the majority accede to the wishes of the minority in a 'One out, all out' strike?

The problem for BASSA would be where less than 50% return produces a 'Yes' vote on 75% of those returned. You would then have a strike called on a majority of 3/8th of the eligible vote representing a minority of the membership.

I think the fundamentally important factor in this whole process is, whatever your view, make sure you use and cast your vote. Apathy achieved the Labour party its last victory don't let apathy be the downfall of BA.