PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A surreal lack of airmanship
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 10:36
eternity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manymak & air up there

I agree with you completely......Next G is gold and a must have for any pilot operating in remote communities.

Unfortunately operating in Central Oz, there are only about 3 (i think) communities that have Next G available. If I'm within approx 100nm from the larger points (eg: Ayers, Alice, TNK, BMA, WBR) I can usually pick up Next G passing anywhere between 5000-8000ft but by then I would have already made contact with centre.

My only other viable option is to attempt to use a troopies sat phone. But those Iridiums are usually as busted ass as the troopie itself!!
On the odd occasion that you do get through to CEN on the sat phone, the readibility is so bad that you usually just confuse CEN and then become so frustrated that you subconciously start looking for a match for the troopies fuel tank.
But thankfully 95% of the time you can successfully contact on HF whilst on the ground.

Thanks again though.

GG,

Good point in regards to dept. VFR and upgrading. And certainly a real option.
We rarely have bad wx though so you are visual anyway.
Just for a point though - if unable to contact on ground it is standard to remain in VMC until we make contact for traffic information (for obvious reasons)

Eternity.