PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 1st Dec 2009, 23:28
Tiramisu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JayPee28pr
One of the strangests aspects of the BA CC dispute to me is the failure to compare what BA is doing with what is happening elsewhere in the aviation industry. BA has put forward some of the least painful suggestions for change, eg so far no compulsory redundancies. I find the "Willie Must Go" argument that seems to underpin the dispute very hard to understand. Who would you like to see replace him? Keep in mind, whoever does so has to have shareholder support, and the shareholders definitely do not support the Union vision of no change. If Walsh does go, it will be because he fails to deliver structural change. Any replacement will push harder for change, and when change comes it will be deeper. Just like Mueller has done in his second (third?) week as CEO of Aer Lingus.

Painful though it may be for some at BA, Walsh looks to be your least bad option to me. Do read the Aer Lingus Board Press Release, though. It will make you think.
JayPee,
I agree that the package put together by our Head of IFCE Bill Francis and Willie Walsh is more than reasonable. Hence my acceptance of the changes that have been implemented. As a CSD I have more to loose if New Fleet starts next year and I'm forced to move eventually.
You'll be pleased to know that some of us have our eyes wide open.
The way I see it having been with BA since 1984 and a CSD for almost 12 years, I have little or no option. Rather than work for another airline I would move to New Fleet in the hope of a Supervisory role and continue to do a job that I absolutely love. I don't think people realise just how fortunate we are in BA.
As far as our CEO Willie Walsh goes, I don't have a problem with him having met him at our Crew Report Centre twice.
Thanks to him, we are still Standing!

PS. Thanks for drawing our attention to the Aer Lingus posts