PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A surreal lack of airmanship
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2009, 13:09
eternity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify a few things

Betaman & the air up there,

As Douche pointed out I was not referring to the standard (and required) CTAF calls.
They (obviously) are always made regardless of the flight rules you are operating under.
See, in the big bad scary bush, Centre usually can't hear you when your on the ground, hence the use of HF for your IFR taxi call.
To suggest that I would blast around the bush using only my HF and yelling "Yee-Haa!!" is borderline insulting.

Manymak,

Thanks for the tip about the IFR sartime for departure. But when you are operating charter flights (especially out of aboriginal communities) the actual time of departure plus or minus an hour is always a wild guess. If you compound that with the fact that the airstrip is usually quite a few miles from any sort of telephone simply increases the difficulty.
We do however, insist that the troopie (who dropped off or picked up the passengers) DOES wait after you have departed, which in turn gives you time to make contact with ATC before the drive off.
At night, however dept. SARTIME's are always used when departing from remote strips.

But thanks to all three of you for the comments.

Eternity.