PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you teach the use of checklist?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 22:14
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Excellent post groundfloor

My only comment is the principals you lis are specifically for multi crew operations. They must be modified for single pilot ops. Specifically:

1) The challenge and response methodology obviously does not literally apply with only one pilot so alternative approaches are necessary. These should IMO include carefully thought out flows so that the flow backs up the checks, and

2) I also believe that except for certain special circumstances the aircraft, should not be moving when carrying out any checks including flows, especially for ab intio training.

I think the example of a float plane in a fast moving current and an x wind is a pretty good example of picking fly s**t out of the pepper grains

There will never be a one size fits all for every aviation procedure. Use of checklist has to fit the operation not the other way around. Personally, for floatplanes, I always try to do as much of the pre takeoff check as possible while the airplane is still tied to the dock. But in my experience most of the time life is pretty easy for a float plane pilot. The "taxi way" width can often be measured in hundreds of yards or even miles and you are never 5 th in line for the active