PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 20:42
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This is the Sea Jet thread, so might I humbly suggest that comments about CVF or F35 would be better placed on other threads, such as the Future Carrier one or even US to withhold F-35 fighter software codes?

nunquamparatus

Well done for steering the thread back to Sea Harrier related topics. I find this trailer of a documentary being made about XZ439 particularly interesting - will the full documentary ever make it to this side of the Atlantic? There are of course other videos relating to XZ439. Perhaps (from my own point of view) one of the most interesting things about Art Nalls' activities is that he has found that the USMC AV8B simulator can be used to simulate the characteristics of the Sea Harrier?

I was also interested in your comments here:

On the more recent side 2 FA2 Sea Harriers were asked to intercept an airliner a week or so post 9/11 over Southern UK. They were on a training flight and London Mil asked if they could close said airliner. No dramas, get a position (suspect Lon Mil didn't have a Bullseye in force), find it on radar, close it....say, how close do you want us to get? "How close can you get?" Needless to say the pilots were a little surprised to see two pointy grey things appearing from under the nose!

Nice to see that the next day, the papers reported that 2 RAF Harriers had intercepted an airliner..........

I heard about this incident via the press, some of whom did manage to report that it was RN Sea Harriers. I think I made reference to it in a post on a Sea Harrier related thread sometime. I cannot help wondering if the lack of public and media awareness of the Sea Harrier (and other aspects of naval aviation, if not the RN in general) made it more vulnerable to cuts. Post Sea Harrier the profile of naval aviation has dropped even further.

I see that the Culdrose RNSFDO/ Dummy Deck Sea Harriers got a mention back in June on the UK Airshow Review board - see here. They were also mentioned (and listed) here in February.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 16th May 2010 at 20:10.