PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 30th Nov 2009, 15:03
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, thanks fincastle for the comments, despite not being here for as long as some, I try to be balanced before reaching a decision.

Clarified you have hit the nail spot on really. That is actually what should of happened to start with - oh, actually it did really but as soon as these suggestions were made by the company - the union were out with the emotive newsletters.... I'm not a BASSA basher, I do support the union as there is always a place, but this hasn't been played very well at all. I'm sure there are plenty more moderate bassa members, but unfortunately the militants will always have the louder voice and be more noticable.

New Fleet proposed to start with (they knew about it 2008, just waited until this year to action it apart from the newsletters to put the fear of god in you!! Remember last years ''The airline that stole Christmas?'') Talks started around Feb/March I think, when New Fleet proposed with some changes to us like crew complements, no working down/up payment, fixed links on EF etc etc... BASSA suggested an integrated approach as didn't want to starve us of work..... BA actually did listen, however to have an integrated approach, some of our trip patterns would have to change. BA did listen but from the militants it was NO NO NO - accept our proposal - which was obvious it didn't save enough money there was hardly anything to it really!! This then dragged on and BA obviously thought we have VR/part time to give something HAS to be done,. so had to do the new crew complements, New Fleet is not set in stone, but the union rather than negotiating things as you have said Clarified, instead they have taken their membership to a position where we shouldn't be!

I don't see anything in what you suggested to be unreasonable really, I don't think HKG/SIN/NRT/PVG etc should be done as a single night (I'm a Eurofleeter but I imagine it wouldn't be nice) but why not even just trial some of the shorter destinations having this. Didn't Virgin trial this? How did they get on?? As for EF, I didn't agree with the losing a day off, wouldn't really want to finish after 9pm on my last day, but wouldn't mind fixed links, etc (means you get home quicker!!! If you have to do more doubles so be it something HAS to be done!!) We could keep our pay and just have new contracts on hourly rate and as you said promotional prospects!! Don't really see a problem. But some people will.

Some people are never happy whatever is proposed, they don't want fixed links, to lose sa day off, less crew, a seperate new fleet, more doubles, etc etc... they want to be untouched. I don't want a pay cut or to work like a slave, but don't really think many BA proposals are unreasonable. Some I didn't agree with like I said, which is why negotiation has to be made from ALL members being asked, not just 2000 or whatever We can't remain untouched!! Which would be lovely, but this is the real world... and look at it!! Not really pretty at the moment with a RECESSION on is it?? Really hope for the sake of everyone at BA including myself we come out of this, even if REASONABLE compromises are made, as BA are a great airline... would hate our stubbon-refusal to change at all attitude to destroy that!!

PHEW RANT OVER!!

PS: New crew complements on Tuesday, abit apprehensive, but will work as best as I can to them, I will not try to make them not work,. Don't get me wrong if they don't I will report, but if they do work then fab! That's something we will just have to compromise!!