PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 30th Nov 2009, 07:44
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide Bustle

I have sympathy with your predicament.

I'll offer some advice if I may (because you seem to be asking for it)

As background I used to work for BA both on the ground as an Engineer and flying both as an F/E and Pilot (34 years) - I have never been Cabin Crew. I am not now in the BA pension scheme and very rarely travel on BA as a customer. So I am reasonably unbiased apart from the fact that I have quite a few friends who still work for BA - flying (as Pilots and Cabin Crew) and on the ground (as Engineers).

For BA to survive they must remain competitive. Changes in working practices have to take place in order for BA to be competitive - it is that simple. If they don't then BA will die. The Management team know this and they will play their cards very carefully to ensure that BA survive (think shareholders here) - they will try and do this with the least blood spilt by shareholders, customers and staff (in that order). They are a caring employer but they will spill blood if necessary to survive.

I think a majority yes vote is likely, but a lot of folk who vote yes will not strike. So much is at stake here that I think a small number of the initial strikers will be sacked but after some time (with any Management sense) they may be re-instated.

The strike (if it takes place) will be broken because for BA shareholders anything else means kissing goodbye to their investment. The Management team will try by any means to ensure that BA survives (If I was a BA investor that is what I would expect them to do) For BA Management it is simple - the strike may break us but the alternative definitely will break us in the long term.

So Slidebustle make your vote but please think carefully about what you stand to lose and what you may gain (if anything)

I wish you and your colleagues all the best.

Regards
Exeng