PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 29th Nov 2009, 22:04
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm BA cabin crew (LHR) I only joined a couple of years ago and I must say this is an awful awful position for us all to be in (including other people working at BA pilots, ground staff, baggage handlers, call centre, head office etc etc) I am like Alexandraa, very confused on how to vote, lots of mixed mixed messages and ALOT at stake in one important decision. Yes or NO? I THINK I am going to vote No in the end but haven't done so YET, just want to make sure. Must admit I am glad I came across this forum, I use all the other forums official and non whether I post or just lurk. It has allowed me to look balanced at the whole issue.

I wish negotiations could continue, for everyones sake. Yes, I suppose you may think well BA have imposed, what could they impose next. Well they have been negotiating for 9 months. I think with such dire financial results they had to do something about it. Of course negotiation is what they should do, but they have, surely if they can't come to an agreement and the savings HAVE to be made soon or else... then they have the right to do this. It's only crew complements that have been imposed... Similar complements (well for the 777 and a319 as they don't have the others) as LGW have been operating with and manage, don't know how our service compares, but surely the union could of saw this coming when they allowed SFLGW? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Having said that... I don't agree with making us cheap and ending our careers.... neither do I agree with turning this into a gap year job... but BA have not imposed new t&c's, and have said they are willing to negotiate on new fleet, new contracts etc... surely the Union could agree to this invitation by BA get down to some serious negotiations on IT'S MEMBERS behalf. There were many things in the UNite proposal I didn't agree with.... they suggested 1 SCCM on a euro 767 no PSR, noone complained because it was a BASSA proposal but as soon as BA do it it becomes unworkable, unthinkable and a nightmare although I do think it's the worst part of the new crew complements, mainly because of the promotional prospects.

I want a future with BA, I would like promotion, I want BA to survive and to be the great airline it can be. Most of my colleagues are fab and make this airline great, sure there is PLENTY of deadwood that bring shame but we do deserve a future. To have a future we need change... yes we don't need to be shafted but the key to this is negotiation.... I must admit though, I do worry when the people in BASSA say if they imposed this what next... there will be no promotion etc.... but is this all propaganda. Or do they have a point.

Inclined to vote No but still very much confused. However I think I'm slowly coming to my senses as to the consequences of a strike and the reality that surrounds us (airlines gone bust, bmi sheding jobs, BA losing money etc etc!)

Sorry for my long post, just alot of emotions and thoughts racing through my mind!