PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intercockpit Training/Investments/Aviation Future
Old 29th Nov 2009, 15:35
hingey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronand,

I know a couple guys who are starting with Loganair next year on the Saab. Neither of them have type ratings, but they may well have known the right people. I also know 4 guys who have gone to Indonesia to fly Caravans. None of them knew people within the company or had type ratings. I'm doing some casual work on light aircrat on and off, which I started earlier this year. Plus I know 2 guys off to Ryanair next year on the Brooklands contract, if thats your cup of tea.

Knowing people helps, but isn't essential. If you don't have any contacts then start networking. Its certainly a better use of your time than worrying about the job market. Probably just under half the guys I trained with are working now, but training wasn't that far back for me. There will always be a number of people who don't get jobs, but more often than not they are the ones who aren't committed or are inflexible about what job they are happy to take. I wouldn't be too concerned about not working for a couple years after finishing school, save that for when you're an ex- airline captain whos just been made redundant!

The trick is knowing where to look. Waiting for jobs to be advertised might not get you anywhere, but showing your face will. I managed to get a job by walking into the office, dressed smartly with a CV in hand and asking if they needed anyone. And yes, that was a job in aviation. Don't expect the jobs to find you, unless your surname is Branson and your dad owes you a favour.

Good luck

h