PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 26th Nov 2009, 22:03
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomkins
Any comments on how we should feel as crew at LGW.Obviously as most know we don't benefit from the same t&c 's as LHR ,a good month may net us in the region of £1500 ,a poor one in the region of £1000.
Hey Tomkins - in honesty, and from experience, I would say that both of those are 'bad months' at LGW. Can show you pay slips to prove it. Though I do understand what you are getting at - the thing is I am not really sure that BA is really looking for "Career" cabin crew at LGW or on a new fleet.

Some would be happy with the wage and lifestyle - the type that work pretty hard and are now Pursers/CM's at LGW and enjoy their lot in life if you like.

The Junior crew members may have a higher turnover - but this more than likely suits BA in terms of cost and has already been seen to work for other airlines.

It's ironic really that what was originally not a life long job is returning to being so for those who aspire to a certain wage (and tax) bracket.

It's also quite sad but, I fear, inevitable.

A Heathrow modle is unsustainable these days. The main competitors for BA these days are the likes of Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, SIA etc on longhaul and loco's on shorthaul. All of these airlines pay significantly less for their crew and squeeze more productivity from them.

Is this fair? probably not but that's Business - and for BA to survive it has to get as much as it can from it's workforce.