PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 26th Nov 2009, 16:08
Jockster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally (as flight deck), I'm hoping for a YES vote: -

If the crew vote is NO there will be wishy washy compromise where everyones a winner blah blah .... and to be honest that is the way of the world - negotiation not confrontation. It's all very grey.

BUT (being a black and white sort of bloke) if they vote YES then Willie can have it all.... sackings on day 1 of strike. Imposition of new fleet on very much reduced T & Cs from day 1 - lots of tears over lattees and the decimation of BASSA and the 'cabin crew' as a department in it's own right.

Flight Ops could run the show with the new cabin crew rostered with the pilots and controlled / under the command of the Captain (like every other airline) - no checking to see if it's OK to do this or that by some faceless union type ... simply get on with it or hand your ID in to security on the way out.

The new Cabin Crew would (hopefully) only put up with the low pay /high work load for a couple of years (having enjoyed seeing some of the world) and then move on to a proper job. The savings in pensions and incremental payscales will be be enourmous.

Yes it will cost the Company bookings and cashflow in the short term but the in long term the potential savings are HUGE. I really hope some manager has looked at this as a business model / strategy - I can't see a downside.

Gap year students are perfect - young, motivated, energetic and adaptable - everything the current crowd aren't.