PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mass Sit-In BA Engineers at LGW 14/06/02
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2002, 01:05
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I agree with some of these guys sentiments , but really - as part of the long/short term strategy of the airline depends on survival, some of these changes are inevitable.

ALOT of work has been transferred to LHR, and alot more to come yet, naturally the staff have to go with it.
If LGW has lost half it's flight's, there is no point in the same amount of staff still working there.
Many Engineers/pilots/crew have NO option but to go with it.
I know, I left Eurogatwick 6 years ago,for many of these reasons but i haven't looked back since.

It is making economic sense to have the majority of BA's flights from LHR fitting in with the wide range of connections.Also duplicating flights at airports only 35 miles apart does not make good financial reasoning.

BA expects alot from it's staff , but sometimes the staff expect a heck of alot back.(i.e.You can't have hundreds of staff sitting around at LGW doing nothing!,Much as some will think it's their god-given right .)

I strongly believe in 2 things - the company's survival & good terms/conditions for all.

It is obvious there are too many suits within the company,and this must be addressed in the immediate future.

Your priority now is to get a better fixed/flexible roster pattern to eliminate fatigue and tiredness,also to ensure there is reasonable coverage at base - but also to ensure the survival of the company.

I'm sorry if some of what I say seems harsh,but these are VERY tough times in the airline industry - we have to be realistic and build on our future prospects - we are in aviation for the love of it, - but also to be profitable / progressive.