PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 25th Nov 2009, 09:27
Desertia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottergirl,

As someone who has been "mentioned in dispatches", I would echo W2P and stress that I have no beef with BA cabin crew or any other. I know what an exceedingly rewarding job it can be, but I also have great personal knowledge of just how absolutely awful it can be (which is why BA CC is considered a job to which many other airlines' employees aspire; BA's 'awful' is still a lot better than some airlines I could mention!).I have many friends in the cabin crew community in several airlines in several countries. I have seen CC take an astonishing amount of guano for no reason and swallow it, when I myself would never have tolerated such things. I've written several letters of praise over the years to the bods in charge of CC, and I hope it's had a positive (and even monetary or seniority) effect!.

I have also seen, in some cases senior, cabin crew be so detestable both to their own colleagues and passengers that I've called them out for it and written similar letters to the airline's management. I don't pay good money to sit on aircraft, even in economy, to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. But these are individuals and there are always exceptions to the law of averages.

I do however have a beef with the selfish and ignorant BASSA leaders who I can plainly see not only misrepresent BA CC, but put their jobs at risk with a litany of lies, half truths and outright deception.

Unfortunately, this kind of behaviour will not convince a High Court judge, because he will have ALL of the facts at his disposal.

I've had dealings with trade unions since the 70's, and thankfully the days of militant trade unionists ruining the country and its industries are almost over.

Yes, there is still definitely a place for trade unions in business. They are an important buffer between company and employees for many important issues which could otherwise be ignored or forgotten.

But they are not bigger than the company, and they don't own the company, so the sooner BASSA learn this simple fact or, better still for the benefit of most members, disappear, the sooner BA can get back to recovery, and its employees can get back to generating profits, and negotiating with the company in a sensible manner to eventually be given their share of them.

Hmmm, did someone mention shares? BASSA certainly didn't!