PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KOREAN AIRLINES - 10 days ON & 8 OFF policy
Old 24th Nov 2009, 14:03
ShockWave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mactor re the KAL failure rate....the following is pasted from what I wrote on another thread because I am to lazy to start again.

An OIC attitude will be much better than a confrontational one, but is absolutely no guarantee of a problem free existence thru line training.
It is not simply a matter of keeping your head down, there are numerous politics and other unusual frictions involved.
I know of no DECs who have had a ripple free transition into KAL and I am working for KAL. Some get thru with less drama than others, but it is never easy.
You will have at least two line training capts. One will do most of your training. You may also end up with having many different guys. If just one guy writes something bad the others will not have the balls to then say something good. They run very scared of being responsible for their actions. Rightly or wrongly they believe that every moment you are employed by KAL they can be held responsible for your actions throughout your career. It is very much easier for them to write bad things about you than good, that way they can cover their backside if someone fails you or you are involved in an incident later.
There are not enough Korean pilots to employ as first officers, so expat FOs seem to have no difficulties during training especially as they will not be given an opportunity to upgrade. There is very little or no resentment towards them.
DECs are viewed and treated very differently.

The KAL training department currently struggles to control what occurs during LT to foreign Captains. A380 DEC training will be an absolute nightmare for anyone if it ever happens.

Also, the successful completion of line training is not an end to the possibility of being screwed with. For some it never ends.