PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Affording training /lower class.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 10:57
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Some suggestions:

(1) Join the RAF

(2) Join the Army Air Corps

(3) Join the Fleet Air Arm

(4) Get a job, work, live cheaply, pay as you go through the modular route. Best of all, get a job in aviation somewhere - whether that's as cabin crew or barman.

A few further thoughts:

- At 19 you are nowhere near running out of time. If you were 40, maybe.

- You say you want to be a pilot; rather than have an unhealthy and unnatural obsession with airliners. Good. That means you can consider military flying, becoming a microlight instructor, commercial balloon pilot...

- "Who you know, not what you know"? - at the higher levels of job hunting maybe, at working level, no - it's what you can do and how you present yourself, everything else is just fluff.

- You don't need integrated. Virtually nobody needs integrated. It's just marketing spin and a huge price markup on a good product - the majority of working pilots trained through a modular route of some sort.

- PPL/night/IMC at 19 is actually very impressive. Don't put yourself down, you're on track and doing well. (For the record, by my 20th birthday I had slightly under 16 hours. To date my career has, whilst perhaps in odd directions, has been damned good fun, and all about flying.)

G