PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul Captain direct from Long Haul First Officer.
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 18:46
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well what I got was exactly in accordance with the seniority system. To be considered for a DC-10 command I had to have 7,500 hours P1 on large multi- engined aircraft and that I already had in Spades. Needless to say, an ATPL was also required (I did my ATPL/IR at CSE at considerable personal expense four years before I left the RAF).

Mind you, I had already been an RAF Short Belfast captain on a global basis before I joined Laker. You might not realise it but the Belfast had the same triplex autoland system that the BEA Tridents had so the DC-10 duplex systems were very easy to understand.

I can well remember coming out of the RAF in 1978 and having an interview with Britannia.

"We are very worried about your long haul background".

"Why" said I.

"We do multi sectors every day with Boeing 737s and with a 2-man crew". "You are used to operating with a 5-man crew so how do you think you will be able to cope?"

I gave said person my current logbook which showed 38 take-offs and landings in a BN Islander during one day of the Rhine Army parachute competitions in 1978 and asked him, as single crew , would that qualify me for his 4-sector hectic day?

Two days later, Britannia sent me a contract but I had already decided that I didn't want to work there and went to Fred instead.