PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 15:17
Penny Washers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All these posts and still no mention of Cambridge! Was anyone else there?

I remember I trained on the Mk III, but they switched me to a Mk I for my first solo, after having explained that it had no aileron differential, and "if you put the stick over to the left it will turn to the right, so use lots of rudder."

Cambridge was a busy place to learn, with three parallel runways in operation - the hard runway, the grass one, and then one for the two gliding organisations, the ATC and the University Club. I can remember almost forgetting to fly the plane once, through looking down on a Balliol just taking off below me on a parallel runway.

And learning to drive on the Bedford 15cwt truck - "the gears are all in there somewhere!"
The instructors all used to push off to The Ancient Shepherds for lunch, but of course we cadets were too young (and skint!) for that.

I remember we aerotowed to Waterbeach for an RAF at home display in the T 21, with me as a delighted passenger, but it was a severe test for a young and unaccustomed stomach and I was glad to get on the ground again! Happy times - but what a long time ago now.