PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Affording training /lower class.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 14:23
Cirrus_Clouds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in your place many years ago within the last years of college, looking through books on career options. I knew what I wanted to do since about 6 years old (strange but true) and got involved in everything to do with aircraft. When leaving college I knew that flying cost between £40,000-£100,000, but where was I going to get that sort of money?

My parents didn't assist me, so it basically meant, as stated above, get a job and start saving for a PPL. I decided not to go to Uni, as that would result in debt and I knew I would be getting into debt at some point through a flying loan. So I decided against this, to increase my chances of loan for flying (even more important in times like now with things called banks).

It's taken me 10yrs so far, but I've been patient (not been easy though). Been through a number of low points, even Sept 11th and that was a low, but kept at it. I have now achieved a PPL, Night Rating, IMC Rating (Part Sponsored btw!!) and now studying for ATPL’s with the first set of exams coming up shortly and not in debt, but in profit!!

Btw I quit my job in a recession to get the study done and go into part-time work, that says a lot in itself! But I could afford to do that and I turned a massive negative of my life for the past year into a massive positive and I feel great for doing so! ...just wasn't easy making the decision and taking the step itself, but I knew what I had to do.

I’m just pacing things for when to complete the CPL/IR/MCC and the loan will therefore be only a fraction of that massive figure of £40-100k, plus the parents are potentially willing to assist with a lower figure having done most of it yourself!

So with patience, hard work, luck and time this is still achievable. I think you’d feel a greater sense of achievement having gone through the challenge in financing it over time, rather than the parents giving you the cash on a plate and potentially having to pay them back later. I know what I’d prefer, but no one said life was easy!!

I know a quite a few pilots, most of them went through the modular route and have all made it to flying a jet.

I'd also recommend you have a look through the requirements for training each module plus having a look through the CAA's document called LASORS - this is like the bible of aviation, explaining the duration you have before each licence/rating expires - very useful info for that business/training plan!

But if you want it, you’ll find a way to do it!!!

Last edited by Cirrus_Clouds; 23rd Nov 2009 at 14:43.