PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:39
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiflyer
That's because in those cases it WAS the individual taking them to court, not the Union. The female pilot didn't pay costs because she WON.
True enough in the case of the female pilot but not so in the holiday pay case. That was an action taken by BALPA on behalf of some 2,800 pilots who submitted their names to the petition. They won the first case, won the appeal and then (unfortunately) lost the second appeal in April when BA found a judge who saw things their way. So the question still stands, who paid the legal bill? May give us an idea whether BASSA or the members pay the next one. It also gives some idea of time scales because the whole legal process was around 15 months in that case. Another recent case BA was involved in (around discriminating against someone because he was Scottish) cost the petitioner about £4000 when he lost. So the amount of money may not be quite so shocking either.

If you want to give your names to the Union and risk being liable for MILLIONS of pounds of costs
I have never said I was a member of either union or that I had put my name to the petition. Not a subject I care to discuss in open forum.