PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blades on planes.....are they legal??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 11:30
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blades on planes.....are they legal??

A subject of much discussion of late but no actual conclusion.

A recent post on an unrelated thread re a diverted flight has prompted me to post this topic however it has been the subject of much contraversy on some SLF forums to the point where I'm now as crew. This is despite the security regs I have to adhere to every day as crew and when I travel as SLF as well

Would appreciate definitive terms of reference to contradict my viewpoint that blades other than safety razors are not allowed on UK flights and knives AKA blades are in fact illegal.

I believe as do some SLF that blades (other than safety razors) are illegal on flights departing from the UK. My terms of reference are:
  • The prevention of crime act 1953 section 1
  • The criminal justice act 1988 section 139
  • Article 77 of the air navigation orders re the commanders authority re safety. That includes instructions given by the company/DFT which he has to enforce.
  • Information given on the CAA/DFT websites re prohibited articles
  • All other info on individual company websites
  • All signage at check in desks and security channels
The 2 acts above are really clear about carrying anything with a blade that could be interpreted as a weapon in a public place without good reason which the onus is on the csrrier to prove. An airport and a commercial flight is a public place.

Yes there are some exemptions to this act but the CAA/DFT/ individual carriers make it plain throughout their websites, notices at airports/questions re check in.....they do not want blades on a plane!!!

Now we still have some frequent flyers who think they are so exempt they brag openly on this forum on what they have managed/will take on planes!

Am assuming none of you think you are above the law so please give a definitive reference that it is legal to take anything resembling a blade on a departing UK plane as cabin luggage other than a safety razor.

For the avoidance of doubt checked hold baggage as the FF's will know is subject to different regs.