PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 05:25
Flap33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear BABOBO

Thank you for expressing your thoughts, unfortunately you and all the other crew have, IMHO, been backed into a corner by BASSA. Failure to negotiate, reliance on the "throwing the toys out of the pram" as previously used in years gone by has left BASSA in the unenviable position of having to negotiate or ballot. The ballot itself doesn't specify why you would be striking either.

I was talking with some of my crew last night, they thought the reason for strike was the new crewing levels. So I as these questions;

1. Why wasn't there a call to arms when LGW had these crewing levels introduced?

2. Post 9/11 there was a reduction in crewing levels (a reduction from 16 to 15 on the 747). Why was there not a call to arms then?

The answer to both, I fear, is that it didn't directly affect the Ts&Cs of the BASSA leadership so it didn't really warrant any action. But now, we have the threat of New Fleet and all of a sudden it's different. Well, if New Fleet is why you are heading for a strike then take a look at the BA/BALPA dispute last year. New Fleet COULD affect your future earnings but it is purely speculative. We know that there is a European law that BA used to kick BALPA into touch regarding speculation.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again....Get BASSA back to the negotiating table but this time come with REALISTIC ideas abiut how you want to make your contribution to the savings required.