PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retire expat pilots, regulator warns; meeting tomorrow
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 01:37
propdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US immigration laws for work permits

Most of the expats bashing the Indian government's attempt to get the expats out have no idea what they are talking about. If there are ample supplies of local citizens to do a particular job, they should get the first shot.

For example, take a look at the US (I am a US citizen). To get a flying job here as an expat, you have to be naturalized as a US citizen or atleast hold a work permit. And get this: US does not issue work permits for pilot applicants. The ONLY way to get that for being a pilot of if you are married to a US citizen. The only way you can get a work permit in US for a particular job is if there is a shortage of local citizens to fill that job. The medical and IT industry in the US are good examples of fields where they can't seem to find enough locals to do the job. The only way a company in the US can hire foreign labor is through immigration AFTER they prove to immigration that, there exists a lack of qualified local citizens to fill a particular vacancy. (There are excemptions: For example, US immigration has a program to attract super-high-quality labor. You see US companies conducting campus interviews in elite universities all over the world in certain specialized fields. Indians seem to score pretty good in this category from their famed IIT (kind of an equivalent to the MIT in the US).

People in this forum demanding to send 'Indian' taxi drivers or 'gas station owners' back to India are conveniently forgetting one thing. Most of them are just as American as you are....most of them are American by birth or naturalization. Just because they are brown skinned does not mean they are not 'American'. Face it: US is a nation build by immigrants...they are here from all corners of the world. Their ethnic background has nothing do do with being 'American'.

Now I do agree with the fact that India has a lot of catch-up to do to get the cockpit upto international standards. CRM is almost non-existant in India. Like many have pointed out, many FOs can't even fly a basic raw data ILS with all engines working in IMC without the autopilot. Many can barely land the plane. Having flown both in India and the US, I was shocked by the utter lack of piloting skills and instrument flying knowledge exhibited by many FOs. Many would not even pass an Intrument Rating in the US! I can guarantee that Indian aviation has a long way to go before catching up to the rest of the world.