PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 21st Nov 2009, 20:54
BABOBO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks and this post is my first contribution.

I am BA Cabin Crew and also a BASSA member. The current situation we find ourselves in at BA is absolutely dreadful. There is a lot of different emotions, feelings, opinions and information/communications out there (both from the company and the unions).

I also received my ballot paper and after much thought and deliberation I have returned it with a NO vote.

The main reasons I am voting against industrial action is covered in a lot of other posts on here. One of my main reasons however is, that I truly don't believe in strike and with that, disrupting so many people who in the end pay our wages and ensure we at BA are all in a job.

I know a lot of crew feel they have been pushed into a corner by the company and feel there is no other options. I however feel, that during the last year the unions haven't made a real effort. A lot of 'tantrums have been thrown' and hidden and personal agenda's were involved. I don't say it is all the fault of the unions as BA doesn't have a clean record either, but in the end, BA is a company and are in the business to make money and making money is certainly something we currently aren't doing.

I honestly don't know what will happen next. There will probably be a big Yes vote followed by industrial action. Partly because the Unions don't see they have another choice and partly because I personally think the company isn't afraid of this trike. I am actually quite convinced WW has 'a plan up his sleeve' to deal with this possible strike which just might turn out in favour of the company.

Reading some of the other forums, I am shocked about the attitude of a lot of my colleagues. The majority seem to swallow everything BASSA throws at them. They have completely lost touch with reality and can't seem to think for themselves. They have a 'blind trust' in BASSA and all they say..... and anyone who challenges BASSA or has a diferent opion gets completely slated . It seems more like a sect than a trade union.

I am also quit upset to read on several forums how a lot of crew are deliberately trying to make the new complements unworkable and a complete failure. This obviously fed by BASSA, the very same union which signed off the exact same crewing levels at LGW!!! And respect to everybody at LGW who have made the base a succes and shown that the LGW model works!!!

On the contrary I am also worried that the coming few months may mean the end of the unions. Although I don't agree with a lot BASSA does, nore with the politics involved, I still feel the Unions do some good work and serve a purpose at BA. But unfortunately I feel they are digging their own grave......

There is a lot I'd like to say but this post is allready all over the place. I don't find it easy to get my point accross 'on paper' but I felt I had to make an attempt.

I am worried about crossing the picket line but I will cross..... and I trully hope BA will come out of this as a stronger company with a worforce respecting their company and visa versa!!!

Regards to all!!!