PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 21st Nov 2009, 12:04
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Irretrievable breakdown in the working relationship

Am still reading this thread despite the hammering I got when I last posted. Have no insight into what is happening at BA (other than this thread) but do have some insight into employment law. It is insight only due to supporting a close friend who won their case. I am not a lawyer or do I have any legal qualification.

The above is a valid reason for dismissal so for all those of you voting yes to IA think very carefully......you will probably loose your jobs.

Given that (according to what I read on here) BA have tried to negotiate and the unions either do not turn up/walk out etc BA may well claim an "irretrievable breakdown" with individuals who go on strike. After all your union represents your views doesn't it? If they don't turn up etc what message do you think BA will claim they are getting from their staff when they can't even talk to them?

However even if the dismissal reasons are upheld by a tribunal years down the line Willie still has to be seen to have followed procedure for a fair dismissal by the tribunal. Even if they conclude he hasn't all the tribunal will do is make a recomendation for re-instatement......he is not obliged to do this and he won't. Why do you think BA has such a large holding pool for CC? I would guess it's because when he sacks the expensive/millitant ones he can replace them with these who no doubt will be on the T&C's BA want.

I'm guessing that what will happen to you guys is that BA will claim you contributed to the reason they will state for dismissal and the tribunal if they agree will adjust your damages accordingly. You won't however have a job with BA. BA will pay a nominal award decided by a tribunal judge and believe me it's not enough to live on.

And then there the question of your references for a future airline. They are not allowed to give you a bad one but they can refuse to give one....how would that look?

IA is not worth it IMHO but I am not in your shoes.