PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay pilots better, Hudson River hero urges
Old 20th Nov 2009, 22:45
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOTSURE
I have flown my jet in all kinds of ****ty weather, day and night, for 54 hours in the last 7 days. My best friend is a mid-manager in a communication company, working 9-5, 5 days a week. That's 40 hours a week, in an airconditioned office.
His check is fatter then mine.
AND, when celebrating Christmas with his family, he will get his 13th and 14th salary for the year.
And at that time I will be, most likely, somewhere 39000 ft over the ocean, thinking how many more years I will have to take all the responsibility, training, study, and make an effort to keep myself fit and and........ to be able to repay the loans for my (small) house.
Got a clearer picture why we have to be paid better ?!?!
What 411A has been patiently stating is that it's not strictly an issue of "worth," it's an issue of "supply and demand." Your automobile is only "worth" what someone is willing and able to pay for it. Your house is only "worth" what someone is willing and able to pay for it. Your job is "worth" only what someone is willing and able to pay for it. In the example you cited, you sounded like you would eagerly change places with your friend. I'd recommend you do it. No, I'm not being obtuse ... I'm being realistic. Unless you're in the military, my guess is you can turn in your wings at any time. Toss out the old "airline pilot" c-r-a-p and envelope yourself in the wonderful world of communications. If you're "worth" as much as your friend (i.e., someone is willing and able to pay you to do whatever it is mid-level managers in a communications company do) you can enjoy his lifestyle. Go. Enjoy the 9-5, 5-days a week in the air conditioned office. Relish those 13th and 14th salary checks. Show up. Sign up. Move up. Simple. Right?