PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 20th Nov 2009, 18:12
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Lurker
Midman - the fact is it's about power for both BASSA and BA

Let's face it BA have been wanting to crack the trades union for years -
Are you saying that Bassa have the same right as BA to wish for that power?

BA are the employer, they pay our wages, and so of course should control its business operations.
I've been an employer, and although I considered the impact of my decisions on the employees, the concept of the employees deciding how my business was run, with the express aim of those decisions being to enhance the terms and conditions of same employees, rather than my business would have been entirely unacceptable.

BA are happy with unions per se, they allow the company to save money on personnel departments and some management functions, but they're not happy with them dictating the course of the business. If BA can't 'impose' hot towels in club, then union power has gone too far.

PS If you think £1 billion will keep BA in business through this recession at current cost levels, you need to speak to someone with financial expertise. Once we're down to 600-700 million, we're dead in the water. All out of a job.