PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air preparing to Strike
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2002, 00:10
747400CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fight Smart

For DownIn3Green and Ignition Override

In different ways, and from different perspectives, you have communicated the 'big picture' of the potential threats facing the Atlas pilots.

With excess capacity capacity out there, undefined support from Polar and other pilot groups, and a political landscape tilted decidedly against them, the outlook is indeed not good.

Absent an improvement in these areas, I certainly share your fears for the Atlas group.

For Beaver Driver:

First - thank you for the thoughtful and rational response.

May I be so bold as to suggest that - if you are not already working as an ALPA volunteer - you might consider lending your skills and leadership in some capacity?

If I were a line guy at a pre-strike teleconference I would be inclined to listen well to a voice like yours.

Upon reflection, a couple of thoughts and questions in reply to your message:

- In the matter of garnering AACS support for your impending job action:

Has your ALPA leadership considered making policy to support pilot of a non-ALPA group (AACS) who honor your picket line?

If I recall correctly, the UAL 'pre-hires' in 1985 were afforded strike benefits (even before they were on the property) in addition to the promise that there would be no back to work agreement that did not protect their jobs.

Moreover, I seem to remember that the UAL pilots 'stayed out' long after the economic issues had been settled over the issue of protecting the 'pre-hires' jobs and seniority - with the eventual outcome of jobs protected and seniority (vis a vis new hire 'scabs' who did cross the line) to be determined by an arbitrator after a month-long strike.

Previous invective between the groups notwithstanding, I would venture the notion that a similar credible commitment from both the 'mainline' rank and file and the ALPA local and national leaders would go a long way to gaining AACS support for your cause.

- In the matter of 'struck work':

In past job actions in the U.S., passenger airline pilot groups have been steadfast in informing their management teams that they will not fly 'extra sections' over a competitor's routes to accommodate 'struck work'.

In this case, however, many of the routes flown by Atlas customer airlines overlap those flown by Polar and other freight providers.

Moreover, it will likely be difficult to discern

(a) those pallets in the warehouses in HKG / TPE / ICN / wherever which contain freight from longstanding Polar forwarders, and

(b) those pallets which contain freight from forwarders which might otherwise have used an Atlas aircraft (wet-leased to a customer airline) for their shipping needs.

I applaud your sensible reply re: pilots meeting their obligations (and no more - i.e., no overtime) as airline managers at Polar (and elsewhere) may be inclined to take hostages (Cathay Pacific last year, for example) wherever they can find them.

A word of caution, however, about real or perceived job protections in the matter of honoring picket lines and flying 'struck work'.

While it's been quite a while since I looked at an ALPA contract (or worked in the states, for that matter) I can never recall seeing any language which protected the job of a line pilot who who refused to fly an assigned trip - struck work or otherwise.

There is, of course, language in every contract for a grievance process to deal with management's termination of pilots for alleged 'misconduct' when they do refuse to fly.

May I suggest a request to your ALPA leadership for

- clear guidelines to the Polar pilots as well as other ALPA pilot groups (NWA) who will be called to carry freight diverted from Atlas aircraft?

- solicitation of expressions of support from non-ALPA pilot groups (World, GAC, Southern) and other IFALPA pilot groups (Cathay Pacific, KAL, Lufthansa, et al) who will inevitably be called to fly "Atlas" [customer] freight?

- an assessment from the ALPA economic analysis department of the excess capacity in Atlas customer markets, the projected Atlas cash 'burn rate' during a strike, and the possibility that Atlas management might acquire yet another airline certificate to try to 'fly through' your impending strike?

- In the matter of the 'end game' negotiations coming up next week:

It seems to me that if your ALPA leadership can

(a) enhance the credibility of your impending job action threat as well as

(b) define the consequential economic damage to an apparently skeptical Atlas management team

your negotiating position going into the talks scheduled for the 24th will be vastly improved - and may prove decisive in reaching an agreement that is good for both you and your company.

- Lastly - good luck to you and all your fellow Atlas pilots.

For fightson

I applaud your aggressive orientation but respectfully suggest you might consider channeling your energies in more productive ways in the days ahead.

Instead of throwing invective, moose turds (?), etc at some guy on a bulletin board, you might consider working the "Family Awareness' phone tree, volunteering for work in your strike center, or some other productive outlet for your - quite understandable - anger and frustration.

If one continues the analogy contained in your 'handle' , seems to me that the Atlas pilots are headed for for multiple "4 v unknown" engagements deep in enemy territory with uncertain tanker assets and yet-undefined support from allied air forces - this in a war that could last a period of days, weeks, or months.

Conveying a credible threat to the 'enemy' of your individual and collective ability to fight effectively over the long haul will likely be more productive than yelling "fight's on" and trying to kill the bogey in front of you in the first turn of the first engagement.

Lastly - no hard feelings, avoid the yellow snow, and good luck to you as well.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by 747400CA; 20th Jun 2002 at 00:26.