PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 20th Nov 2009, 09:45
tomkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wobble2plank.
Why do you think that crew do not spend all thier allowances downroute.I'll tell you .Maybe its because their basic salary of £10,999 gross before tax p.a, as a new entrant, which equates to approx.£800 per month after tax, is not enough to cover their monthly living costs .I believe that the allowance system has evolved in order to decrease tax paid by both the company and the worker.If allowances are further reduced by taxation ,or by the company for that matter,how many people will be able to afford to do this job?I know that a lot of my collegues are disillusioned by the hardship of living on the breadline ,and although they love the job are seriously considering leaving with the sole purpose of finding something that pays better.I believe that the average U.K salary is around £24000 p.a ,so where does the crew member with a basic of under half of the average salary ,stand without his/her allowances.