PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign Nationals operating domestic Aus sectors
Old 18th Nov 2009, 22:20
Keith Myath

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
tail wheel

On April 14, 2010, one can book domestic passage from Sydney to Brisbane on the MV Sun Princess.

I haven't checked the vessel's registry, but I suspect it is probably registered in Panama, US owned, British Master, German Engineers, Filipino, Chinese and Sri Lankan crew. I doubt any, from the Master down, have valid Australian Visas which entitles them to work in Australia.

In terms of the Migration Regulations 1994, could someone explain the difference to JQ operating SIN - DRW - MEL with foreign cabin crew?
The Australian coast is protected by Cabotage. For the MV Sun Princess (or any other foreign registered ship) to operate on the Australian Coast will have either a single voyage permit or continuous voyage permit. It is worth noting that there are some conditions attached to these permits:

The Navigation Act requires all shipping engaged in the coasting trade to be either licensed or to be granted specific exemptions from the licensing requirements in the form of single or continuous voyage permits (SVPs or CVPs). Any ship, whether Australian or foreign, can obtain a license to operate on the coast provided certain economic conditions are met, as set out in Part VI of the Act, which are principally:
  1. that seafarers employed on the ship shall be paid wages at the current rates ruling in Australia, and
  2. that the ship is not in receipt, either directly or indirectly, of any subsidy or bonus from a foreign government.
I bet that the foreign nationals operating within Australia would love that protection. Any guesses what the wages are for the Jetstar Singapore or Thai flight attendants?

PAF
I'm still wondering though. What's the issue in this circumstance? I would have thought foreign crew on a foreign aircraft would not be an issue?
Foreign Registered aircraft are not permitted to operate domestic sectors.

A Foreign Aircraft AOC may authorise the operation of a foreign registered aircraft on flights into, out of or within Australian territory that are not regulated domestic flights. (Civil Aviation Act, 1988, 27AE (4.a))
The issue is foreign crew operating domestic sectors, it matters not which rego the aircraft has (VH in this case).

mates rates
The precedent was set in 1989 by another labour government so don't expect anything to change now
There is currently no approval, special visa or any legislation that permits foreign national cabin crew to operate domestically. Talk about seafarers or 89 distracts from this point.

Again, find me the exemption that Jetstar have that allows them to use foreign nationals on domestic sectors.