PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK -Sharm El Sheik Ops
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2009, 16:20
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wycombe
Some interesting info in these replies, thanks all

It is then a long day for those of you that operate out on a day return basis from the UK to the Red Sea resorts, but as a few of you explained the regs. allow it, there is adequate rest rostered around it, and as long as the trip "runs on rails" the worst you might suffer is a "numb bum".

If I'm honest, I am struggling to see why BA can't operate the route the same way everyone else does? Just sounds soooo ineffiecient....

1. A long haul aircraft that could be making more money being utilised doing what it was designed for is sat on the deck in SSH (no doubt incurring more parking charges than if it was on a quick turn and return?)

2. There are crews slipped for multiple day layovers at the end of a 5hr sector(very nice for them I'm sure), when they could fly out and back like everyone else - surely a 777 can be turned around in 1.5 hrs?

3. EZY operate UK to Sharm with 320's and 321's (and I think GB used to when they flew under the BA franchise), so why not a more regular service using a smaller aircraft?

Oh, I forgot this is BA...and the Unions and outdated working practices may be the death of the airline....glad I'm not a shareholder!
Trust me, the unions and outdated practices have nothing to do with the layover on this route. They don't give a damn about LGW and I can assure you, we do our fair share of 13-14 hr days.

I suspect that this may be a slot issue due to it being a new route. There is no way BA would have the aircraft sitting on the ground for 5 hrs if they didn't have to, even if the crew were nightstopping! However, the fact that it is on the ground for that length of time leaves no choice but to night stop the crew due to time restrictions. And the infrequency of the service, again, possibly due to slot issues or maybe because they are testing the market, means a longer trip for all.

At LGW, we have none of the restrictive agreements that exist up the road and we work damned hard. In fact, I work far more hours than I ever did at charter and for pretty much the same money. But it's a different type of service and generally, much less pressured when onboard. Swings and roundabouts, I guess you would say.

I fully expect this to become a there and back as soon as it is possible for BA to operate it in that way, so please, give us a break and let us enjoy this rare touch of luxury!