PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you earning £73,281 per year? (UK)
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2009, 18:23
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitchaa:
Let's not kid ourselves here, offshore pilots are glorified taxi drivers, they turn and burn, wait on the passengers boarding, pull collective, advance cyclic, fly straight and level, and then land on a platform in the middle of the North sea, passengers get off, new 1's come on and then off again into the same old boring routine. You may get challenged a little when its dark, or there is a little bad weather but who doesn't get challenged in their jobs?
You couldn't be more right. thing is, we're getting paid fairly well for it but i'd like more because it's so boring. Any monkey can be trained to fly offshore. What's demanding about it?

Actually, having had a think about it, why don't the offshore companies just get rid of co-pilots, make all Captains training captains, and do the whole Ryanair thing and have the co-pilots pay to sit up front. That would help profits, the job is easy enough that it can and was done single pilot anyway.

As for the Engineers, well, A), I think they do a fantastic job with what they have, and B) they aren't as badly treated as some may think. Give me their roster any day of the week, starting tomorrow.

Last edited by helimutt; 15th Nov 2009 at 19:23. Reason: asked to for obvious reasons