PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ples balus bilong PNG mi no sav1? part 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 05:11
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mauswara,

Remind me again...what exactly is so bad about Colonialism.

Pre Independence PNG had good roads, schools, hospitals, Govt infrastructure, reliable water, electricity, phones and Police who actually functioned and therefore insignificant law & order problems.

And now?

PNG had unlimited potential which has been, for the most part, wasted.

The University system is in dissarray, negligble Technical training of Nationals at any level. The only students who gain a first world education are those whose parents can afford International Schools...even the standard there is down because of the diminishing numbers of expat teachers. The place is too dangerous and expat costs have risen...even in 94 the IEA (run by local 'biznismen') was starting to introduce National teachers to the IEA school at Ella Beach!

PNG politicians DO NOT CARE about anyone save themselves and their immediate wantoks!

The grass roots PNG citizen is like a child...let them get away with murder and they will...in the PNG case, far too often literally.

I have many fond memories of my time in PNG...more than my fare share of horror stories with rascals...and no hope left that PNG has a bright future.

An old villager once said to me about Independance, "Wanim taim dispela sumting i di pinis?"

Just wait a few more years and we'll see a PNG equivelent of Mugabe!

Chuck.