PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is happy at ANY ME airline, post here
Old 14th Nov 2009, 11:56
IXNAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kem,
Let me say it again. An airline is an airline. All airlines have their "superior" management personnel, whether it be Airways, or any of the others. You will find that the airlines around here seem to have their marketing down fairly good, but their operational management can leave a lot to be desired.

You say you are 48. That gives you 17 more years of flying at airways. Seriously, could you spend 17 years away from extended family members, having minimum days off, no matter how many hours you fly, having very little rights as an exapt? It's not about the airline, it is about living in an area and livestyle so different than what you are used to. Believe me, Jamaica is no third world country compared to some of the destinations we fly to.

You have a somewhat stable job. So what if you get bounced back to the right seat, so did I...numerous times. Hey you'll be senior and commuting will get easier. Airways will be around. Sure it looks like a crap job right now and might stay that way for 17 more years. But hopefully your life is defined by you family and friends, not the fact you work for a crap airline. Please, brother, think long and hard about traveling thousands and thousands of miles away just for a better (defined) job.

A lot of the guys posting here live only hours away from the ME. Commuting or traveling to Europe is like commuting from MIA to say SEA. Six or so hours, not 15. It will take you three calendar days of vacation to get to and from the US. Other guys posting here that are happy have had their "alternatives" taken away by either bankrupt airlines or countries where opportunities are very very limited.

And remember, no duty rigs, flying close to 1000 hours a year etc. The captain of the EK MEL accident had flown over 98 hours in the last 30 days. And at EK, the time in the bunk as the augmented crew does not count for your flight time totals (paid-yes).

Now am I happy here? If anyone cares, having no other real choices, lets say I get by. The good news is that everyone is in the same boat so you will make some great lasting friends. But I would trade places with you tomorrow and I am VERY familiar with Airways.