PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What it's like to spend £65,000 and not get a job
Old 12th Nov 2009, 15:07
Ben178v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I graduated from OAA in March 2008 with 140 hours total. Type rating with Gecat/OAA April/May and base trained 10 June 2008. OAA cost £64'0000 Type rating 737ng cost £16'500. Living costs whilst on course I have never had the guts to calculate.

I worked for 3 months for my first company before it went pop and gained 170 hours on the 738/9.

2 months later I started in Africa on the 737NG and worked there until April 2009 gaining 140 hours doing 40 minute sectors.

April 2009 I started at another UK company on the 738 and am still here and loving it.

At job 1 I took home after tax £3200, job 2 £2300, job 3 £3/4000.

I am now approaching 1000 total time with nearly all of it on type.

Before I started flying I was an engineer in the military for 12 years and doing my fair share of jobs in the sand pit where I left behind a few friends. For this I took home around £2300.

I get annoyed when I read posts on here by people who are pilots and condemn others for trying to be the same. The glory days may have gone for you guys but it is still a glamorous and exciting job. I have never once since I started not wanted to get up and go to work and when I am there it doesn't even feel like a job it feels as though someone is paying me to do my hobby and I love it. I admit that this is probably linked to the airline you fly for as I wouldn't want to be doing 5 earlie's 4 off etc but I don't have to as I am doing charter flying.

I don't have rich parents and of the 25+ that were in my class only a couple had there courses paid for by there parents. Mine did help me though by securing my loan on their house but I am the one who pays my loan repayments.

Now if you look at what I earned before I started to fly then add the loan repayment of £1100 on top you will see that I didn't take a paycut. Yes this job is more unstable but I now work 6/8 days a month instead of 5 days a week and I don't have to go live where people are shooting at me and mortaring me in my sleep.

My friends outside aviation think I have been unlucky but those who are inside know how lucky I have been.

It is a big undertaking doing these course's and I would never recommend that anyone who is thinking of undertaking one does so without:

1-A well paying job to fall back on if it doesn't work out.
2-A well paying job to fall back on if it doesn't work out.
3-A well paying job to fall back on if it doesn't work out.
4-Be prepared for a roller coaster ride that could end up in bankruptcy.

You need to get a trade before you start this unless you are pretty well off.