PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Slats > 3 reference ???
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 12:23
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Carpe

This is a very interesting subject. Just one question: as I interpret FCOM 3.02.27 pages 2 and 3, the ECAM will display a MAX SPEED..... XXX line with the corresponding limitation. I mean, I think the table is there just for info, when you are at home studiying . If the slats lock occurs in flight we just have to follow the ECAM "action". Am I right? or in your sim you had to find out the limit in the table?*

As for how the table is the way it is:

Each slat angle has its own limit.

For slats 1 (18º) the limit is 230 kt.
For slats 2 and 3 (22º) the limit is 200 kt
For slats Full (27º) the limit is 177 kt

Any slat angle below or equal to 18º (position 1) has the same limit (230 kt) even for just 1º.
Any slat angle above 18º and below or equal to 22º (positions 2 and 3) has the same limit (200 kt).
Any slat angle above 22º, till 27º, has the same limit (177 kt).

The slats will lock only if they should move after a flap lever selection.

Therefore you will never have a slats lock after selecting flaps 3 in final approach (nor selecting flaps 2 from flaps 3 after a Go Around).
During approach, you can have it after selecting flaps 1, 2 or full, only.

If the slats move and then lock after selecting a flap position during approach you have the slat limitation for the intended position (230 kt if you selected 1, 200 kt if you selected 2, 177 kt if you selected full).

When slats lock after take off, you have the slat limitation of the previous flap lever position. During initial climb out with Conf 3 you select flaps 1 at acceleration altitude. The slats can lock at any position between 22º and 18º. The limiting one is 22º. Same when taking off with Conf 2. If you take off with conf 1, slat limit would be 230 kt.

So I guess the conclusion is that the limit is the most limiting of the two lever positions involved, previous when cleaning, intended during approach.

The same applies for the flaps positions, only the limits are different so you need to know with is the limit applying in each case, slats or flaps limit. Hence the table.

* Now I see that the table is needed for knowing what is the VFE next, so the procedure can be carried out. The ECAM does not display it, unfortunately.

Last edited by Microburst2002; 12th Nov 2009 at 13:24. Reason: VFE NEXT