PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Cost Carriers "CuttingCorners"!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2002, 10:03
Fluke Skywalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

WxJX

I don't think this is the first time the journos have used CHIRP - I remember last year there was a big story on the telly and in the papers re flight planned fuel all based on an article in CHIRP.

CHIRP is an anonymous system. However in this case the editor(s) of Feedback thought it important and relevant to include the phrase "low cost airline operators" in the published report. In addition their summary/comment stated:

Most, if not all, major UK airports hold regular liaison meetings at which problems ... can be discussed between Air Traffic Services and airline representatives. However, the effectiveness of these depends on regular participation by local operators.

They also forwarded a copy of the report to the CAA Safety Regulation Group.

Clearly the editor(s) of Feedback feel this case warrants further attention and that normal channels of communication aren't as effective as they should be. Their intention is to raise awareness at an early stage to prevent this happenning. The fact that it has made headline news only goes to show that many people are sceptical of the LCAs and their committment to Safety vs Profit.

With MOL seemingly happy to break the law when it suits him (see my post above) who's to say that the LCAs don't deserve a bit more scrutiny?