PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 09:52
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Well

Its nice to see some ecomomic Darwinism in action - The Midlands does not need two 3000 Metre runways. I have said this before; Has there been a sustained decade on decade increase; in business traffic from the West Mids to anywhere other than Dublin or Dubai - Has Paris,Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Milan or Rome traffic; (both business or leasure related ) increased ?. As you could expect from a region growing in ecomomic importance - I don't know, but I suspect not - When it comes to "Bucket and Spade" traffic and I do not mean this in a desparaging way; do pax really mind 45 mins trip up/down the M42, down the M40 or M6. - I helped finance the place through the rates I paid, when living in Brum.

What really irks me is is the realisation that in the whole of the RWY Ext "Kite flying excercise", the authorities proceeded with a plan without concurrent review and action in financing the project. The Managers comments in the article; strike me as someone looking for an "Out" - The owners had 40 years or so to develop the facility and for a variety of reasons did not.

How about a plan to use the exsisting facilities to clear the costs of financing the exsisting terminal(s) and their demolition only, and then closure over the next 15/20 years or so. The West Midlands needs land for housing and there are good and expandable travel infrstructure facilities at EMA.

The ecomomic race in the long run goes to those with better IQ and vision and imagination. One Midlands airport , one 3000 M runway, one nill to EMA in economic terms.

Added later:

Even Manchester, which as an airport; has had this form of investment (two Parallel 3000 Metre Runways) has not really developed in ways that; we the public would have imagined in the 1980's, in terms of long haul scheduled services. Remember it serves a huge catchment area too.

Re 787: When will it see service: It could come out just that bit too heavy or shorter in range to make US West coast LH economiclly feasable from the likes of BHX or Luton or LBA.

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 12th Nov 2009 at 13:11.