PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 11th Nov 2009, 21:00
FlexSRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyinspanner

FlexSRS -No Its not an epic maths failure, you seem to assume that there are only A319s on eurofleet, that the crew live on them and do not get days off, annual leave, that some crew are required to be downroute, some on standby, some off sick, some undergoing reccurent training, some line trainers delivering the training.
Maybe you need to adjust your simplistic formula
I think maybe we are sort of agreeing here, on this first point. I am not assuming that the crew live on the plane and don't get days off, in fact I am pointing out the exact opposite, that because of these things you need many more crew than 4 per hull.

What I was taking issue with, was your statement about there being 175 staff per aircraft, and only 4 being CC.

In fact, per a/c on SH, out of that 175 (or however many), there are going to be a significantly more than 4 CC, just like there are going to be more than 2 pilots.

I think we all take your point that BA has more back office staff etc and does have more staff per hull than other carriers, and no one would deny that, to an extent, (but then we do our own pushback, check-in, engineering etc which others contract out, so don't count as headcount, just cost)

My issue is with playing fast and loose with figures like that, to make it seem like there are hundreds of other wasters, and only a few CC, so they look like such a small amount in comparison, that it hardly seems worth tackling the excesses.

Surely I can't be the only one that sees it that way?

(edited to add; just for comparison, in your numbers below, you now say 12crew per hull, so for say 70 hulls in EF, that would be 840cc required. I'm just saying start from the other way around. In very, very rough numbers, say there are about 5000 crew in EF, over, say 70 planes, that is about 70 crew per hull, so when you now look at 175 staff per plane, and 70 are CC, it is a very different picture than saying 4. Even if you half the amount again, you are still talking a factor of 10 more)

**ps - that human rights quote re fixed links was a quote from a rather animated commuter, I only include it tongue in cheek. I know a lot of crew who would rather just get on with it and go home 2hrs earlier.

Last edited by FlexSRS; 11th Nov 2009 at 21:28. Reason: to put in quote