PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J Hercules 10th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 10:48
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex Air Eng on the K, I left EDGL not long after the J frames arrived. I admit to being somewhat sceptical of the new plastic fantastic aircraft. Yes, it took time to get a lot of the clearances, yes, it took time for the crews to become familiar with it. In fact all of the associated problems that you get with any new frame coming into service, especially as the 'launch' customer.

Roll on a few years and, now in a different life, I found myself in Iraq and using the J service quite a lot. Because of my background I spent most of those trips 'up front', chatting to old mates and taking more than a casual interest of how the J was operated and any limitations I could see. All I can say is that the crews love it, they say it flys like a dream. Yes, it was very strange sitting in the jumpseat and having no instruments to check on the T/O roll, trying to get used to the MFD outputs, of course the master race had their HUDs. When doing anything a bit 'meaty' the Loady then took the role of the third pair of eyes on the flight deck. All I can say is that it works and seems to be getting better all of the time.

I still believe that for 'certain' roles they need a dedicated third man, but that aside, unfortunately some may say, the future is J. The K will continue to provide an exemplary service until it is withdrawn, kicking and screaming, from service.........much like I was