PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:00
The Main Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read this forum only occassionally and this is my 1st post.
I am a PSR on WW at LHR. I am not in favor of a strike and I personally feel both the Unions and the Company have been abso-bloody-lutely useless in coming together to talk since February (yes it was February the talks started) I think the Company has gone the wrong way about making changes and I think the Unions are too full of Senior CSDs and PSRs to want to change, hence we have a standoff with no end in sight
I am not happy with the crew member coming off because that is another pair of hand's serving our customers, however, I am realistic and am aware that the service although slower and possibly a little erratic in the Premium Club cabin can be delivered.
On several posts on here people have referred to the minimum crew legally carried on other carriers. We are aware we carry more crew but that has always been the agreement because of the level of service offer. Take away the level of service and then yes, by all means reduce the numbers. With respect to my LGW colleagues, whom work incredibly hard, unfortunately the service levels aren't the same. Fewer crew naturally equates to less help available, pax wait longer for their ad-hoc requests, their problems to be addressed and their food to arrive and be taken away. No PSR in the F cabin has meant inconsistencey with the delivery (much the same as main crew on the UD on our jumbo) on occassion, I concede not all the time.
I am concerned about a new fleet, if I was the CEO I would do exactly what I am worried about. I'd bring in youngsters full of energy and enthusiasm and pay them as little as I could. That's business. But for those of us who have worked hard over the years to keep the company going what happens then? I joined BA knowing what I would be earning and my lifestyle reflects that. I am grateful for a job but you know what? BA should be grateful for me to be in that job because everytime I put on my uniform I give 300%. My flights are safe and my passengers are happy, my crew are valued. Does anyone really believe a 20 year old straight out of Uni can possiblY give the same service as a 40 year old with 18 years experience? You get what you pay for and if that's what the Company wants so be it. When the pax start choosing other carriers maybe then the LT will listen. As an aside, safety being our main priority the young ones panic when the chicken runs out, can you imagine their reaction if the a'se end is on fire?
And to my pilots. I have to say to being a little disappointed with some of the more sarcastic comments I've read on here. I am pro pilot. We enjoy very safe flying in this company which we have you and the Engineers to thank for. They keep the aircraft safe and you get us there and back safely. I am the PSR from First who feeds you F class food, makes you a latte during the night, welcomes your clingons with open arms and doesn't treat them with indifference. Please don't be so dis-respectful of what is going on behind that door. While you are sitting there reading 4 newspapers cover to cover, doing 2 of the crosswords, 1 sudoku, discussing at least 2 ex-wives and which of the juniors you are going to pursue , me and mine are looking after anything up to 350 passengers, keeping the cabin safe and trying to offer a level of service that ensures each and every time they fly they choose BA over any other carrier. That means repeat business and we all keep our jobs. YOU NEED US AS MUCH AS WE NEED YOU.