PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you're on the Subcontinent when....
Old 9th Nov 2009, 20:17
shanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear tangowithtushar,

Im not sure if you have travelled and/or lived outside India.

In my brief stay of just over a year in the US (flight training), I have seen the glittering AND the "dark" side of USA ... atleast the dark side of certain places in California... more specifically in small towns and the countryside.

I have myself seen and witnessed the lousy and creepy life of some of the hispanic and african-american population there.
Have heard some really poignant stories of American parents forcing their kids to get into drug dealings.
Have seen people living in utmost poverty and crime/prostitution being their sources of income.

I have seen an all out bloody street fight between a "white gang" and a "black gang", while driving back with friends after some grocery shopping.

Yes, physical/sexual abuse of children and women VERY MUCH happens in the west too.

USA is not just about Las Vegas, LA, NYC, Microsoft, Boeing, NASA, Hooters, Beaches and babes etc ...
It ALSO has a dark, creepy, horrible side which few people see or get to know about ...

Yes, I fully agree India has a dark side much bigger than the dark side in the US ... but with such a pessimistic attitude, we're only going to get darker.

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

having said that, I will always be grateful to the USA for allowing me to study there, receive quality education/training, explore some beautiful and picturesque places and get a chance to meet some great people and make some wonderful friends.

P.S ... Regarding your beard ... TRUST ME ... you're far safer here in India sporting your beard than in the US of A... atleast from the way I have seen it and heard from a LOT of my friends in the US.