PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 9th Nov 2009, 15:48
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am confounded by the logic?

If BA's imposition had of been halted, it would have weakened BASSA's case for a strike. PPRUNER's and the public would say: "what are you going on strike for, you have got what you want?"
So, BASSA went to court to impose an injunction and failed therefore winning? No one seems to be too sure about what BASSA are striking over anyway and I think the loss of 1 or 2 crew per aircraft is not seen by anyone except BASSA as particular hardship.

If BA had of won their case, the public would have been against us as we would be seen as having already lost and the strike merely viewed as being a great hissy fit.
Even better! Public opinion IS against a strike. We are in the middle of the deepest recession since the 1930's. People are losing work all over the country. Unemployment historically lags recession by 6-9 months and you throw a strike? How fabulously popular you will be with the public! The problem is that, unlike the Postal Strike, which still wasn't hugely popular, is that there are many, many other full service airlines doing the same job as BA with half the cost base. Difficult to justify at the best of times.

Now Willie Walsh is in the worst case scenario of both worlds. BA may lose the High Court action in February and before that, have had a costly strike running into hundred of millions of Pounds.
Which Willie Walsh has stated will be added to the IfCE savings budget. Foot, aim, shoot.

No doubt most of you here will put the best possible gloss on this outcome, but in fact it is a personal disaster for Walsh. He should resign now as his position is completely untenable.
Why is his position untenable? Please explain why, with the backing of the Board, the backing of the City and the backing of the shareholders his position is untenable?

The BASSA spin machine must be just about fit to burn its bearings out.

I think this little video describes the 'concentrated factual' level of misunderstanding within the BASSA hierarchy at the moment!

YouTube - Eddie Izzard- Death Star Canteen

Last edited by wobble2plank; 9th Nov 2009 at 16:24.