PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you're on the Subcontinent when....
Old 9th Nov 2009, 04:43
tangowithtushar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great post captenoin i can't help but in awe of your observation, it was a refreshing change. We as a country need a social change more than an economic one i can live with the bureaucratic bottlenecks abject poverty nepotism rade tape, but how can i even breathe properly in a place where my religion and my last name becomes a bone of contention for discrimination against me, leading newspapers offer free ads for people who want to marry some one irrespective of his/her religion caste,widow/widower etc. but does it help in any way when a trivial issue over vande matram which was sung by a.r rehman himself becomes a national level issue and religious leaders escalate it to suit their own evil designs not even bothering what a common man be it hindu or muslim feels about it.. even in the so called urban delhi a muslim boy in his early twenties would have a hard time getting an accommodation why?? because even after 60 years of independence we continue to live how the british left us,

can a hindu/ muslim/christian/sikh boy/girl even dare to marry some one of another religion without the scare of our lives becoming a national media issue and radical elements biting into our flesh well the probable answer being NO...
will our "families" with a large army of relatives allow it to happen in the first place without killing our happines?? even when the court of law considers me legally mature enough to choose my life partner
i know this is an aviation forum and my post might qualify as a rant of an idle mind.. i might not have been able to pen my thoughts properly but being an Indian i dream of an India where my virtues and deeds are placed higher than my religion..

p.s recent incident - i was scorned at by my own relatives at family gathering for sporting a beard which according to them made me look like a person of a particular community.
i would love to see their faces when they realize i enjoy eating beef hahah

lets be proud of our different cultures and traditions instead of beating our chests about how secular our country is...when in fact most of our basic human rights stand infringed on the very grounds of religion.